|patches for 4.1.2
||[May. 26th, 2003|02:15 pm]
First of all, I'd like to say thanks to everybody who made logjam real. I am using logjam for about a month, and found it a very nice LJ client.|
I have set up a page containing unofficial logjam RPM. The problem with "official" RPM is missing %__make statement in %build section of logjam.spec file. It leads to binary with incorrect compiled-in paths to images and localization files, so neither images nor locate is available. Hope that official RPM maintainer will fix that.
There are also a few patches that worth mentioning.
All that stuff is tested by several people and proven stable. I hope that all this stuff will made its way to logjam CVS, as well as to the next version.
2003-05-26 10:00 am (UTC)
Looking into this in further detail, I can't see any differences between the logjam binary generated with %__make and the one done with %makeinstall... except that my compilation log is shorter.
Nevertheless, I've made the change in my rpms and uploaded new ones to http://people.redhat.com/tcallawa/logjam
I took out your lj script, because, frankly, you should be exporting your locale for yourself. It might be useful if it determined the language on the system and exported that first, so that it would work for all langs... but for just ru, its not useful for any other langs.
All the other patches were added.
2003-05-26 11:59 am (UTC)
The problem with your spec file is that %makeinstall macro gives a number of variables to make command, those values are starting from BuildRoot, like, say
Probably some other variables are "harmful" too. See /usr/lib/rpm/macros for more details.
As %build section does not contain %__make (or just make), actual compiling is done in %makeinstall, which results in wrong paths to data files (specifically images and localization files). This is why I see English interface, and no picture of goat or lj user (during HTML preview).
It took me a long time to first notice, and when to find the problem. I used 'strace -eopen' and saw that logjam looks for images under some strange path :) It took me long time to find the reason (absence of %__make in %build section).
Note that %__make macros doesn't have variables pointing to BuildRoot, that is why their values are determined by configure arguments (which are correct).
I agree that my 'lj' script is kinda dirty hack and should not be included into RPM. Sure, locate should be set somewhere else (like in /etc/sysconfig/i18n or ~/.bashrc). But I have not switched to full-unicode system yet, so I use ru_RU.koi8-r locale in most apps (really, in all apps but logjam, which seems to not understand non-unicode).
I do really apologize for not contacting you before; I just had much work to do and forget that. The good thing is information is finally reached you.
2003-05-26 01:45 pm (UTC)
ahh. thank you for the explanation. I learned something new today. :)