?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I didn't find an answer that I liked. . .… - LogJam [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
LogJam

[ website | LogJam ]
[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

[Mar. 2nd, 2004|08:43 am]
LogJam

logjam

[lifftchi]
Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I didn't find an answer that I liked. . .

Anyway, I'm having trouble compiling. It fails when checking for XML::Parser, apparently.

( here are some lines of output. . .)

creating libtool
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
configure: error: XML::Parser perl module is required for intltool


Now, I have no desire to install this module, and the error message suggests that it's only required for i18n, which i don't care about in the slightest. A quick glance at the logjam download page says that the only dependency is gtk2, which is installed and linkable.

How can i get this to compile without this perl module?
LinkReply

Comments:
From: evan
2004-03-02 10:25 am (UTC)
Hmm...
Which version of LogJam is that? I thought I used the new intltool that didn't need that...


You might be able to edit configure.in and remove the intltool line, then rerun autoconf. It might break your desktop file (puts LogJam into your GNOME/KDE/etc menu, not too important).
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: lifftchi
2004-03-02 11:03 am (UTC)
i'm installing 4.3.2 .

i didn't find configure.in the source package, so i just hacked out all references to intltool in configure . you have my permission to be disgusted. (worked fine, though.)
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
From: evan
2004-03-02 11:09 am (UTC)
whoops, i meant configure.ac.

glad that it worked.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: darkfurkitty
2004-06-21 11:27 am (UTC)
I'm trying to build 4.4.0 and have the same problem. I tried commenting out AC_PROG_INTLTOOL from configure.ac (the only place "intltool" is found... both by trying to put a # and dnl at the beginning of the line), but it still errors out with the same message. I'm not that well-learned on configure scripts and the like, so I can't say I know what I'm doing..
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
From: evan
2004-06-21 01:29 pm (UTC)
you need to regenerate the configure script after you edit configure.ac.
there might be an autogen.sh included which will do it for you. otherwise, um, you might have to dig around in the arch repository. (it's some combination of the "autoconf", "autoheader", "automake", etc. commands but i always get it wrong.)
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: darkfurkitty
2004-06-21 09:19 pm (UTC)
Okay, I had to run autoconf. Also, I ended up having to remove the references to it in data/Makefile and data/Makefile.in. After that, the build went smoothly, and it works great. :)

Though I do have to wonder... why does the make process run ./configure and aclocal-1.7? I've never encountered a program that did that before.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
From: evan
2004-03-02 11:17 am (UTC)
On further investigation: it appears that intltool requires XML::Parser. Lame. We do have one (tiny) XML file that gets translated.

It appears others are having the same problem:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/151631
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: lifftchi
2004-03-02 11:52 am (UTC)
> It appears others are having the same problem:
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/151631

heh. yeah, i noticed that when i searched, but the guy wasn't helpful enough to give details, and it looked to me like he just installed the perl module eventually. not the desired result.

thanks for the support, by the way. client works great.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)